Sunday, October 2, 2011

Matching die tutorial

Have you purchased any of the stamps with matching spellbinders dies yet. I love them but hated trying to use them. Every time I tried to do the masking thing it never worked quite right. My friend Sandy Hulsart came up with a much better way to do this in my opinion.   Step one is cut out the die cut on your paper and set it aside. Step two is line up your stamp a ma jig, I got mine at Michaels.  It has a square piece of plastic and you stamp on the shinny side. The rough side is to keep it from slipping on your paper.  I'm left handed so I do mine this way but anyway you line it up is fine.  Step 3 place your stamp on the block or use a wood mounted stamp and ink it up. 
Step 4 is place the block into the corner of the Stamp a ma jig and stamp on the piece of plastic.
Step 5 is place a piece of REMOVABLE scotch tape on the backside of the die cut and stick it down on your stamping surface, I'm using black paper just so it shows up on this.  I get my removable tape at Michaels in the tape section. 
Now I have the ornament taped down and I have the stamped image placed over it exactly where I want it. Line up the corner of the stamp a ma jig and then carefully remove the plastic.  Now place the block or stamp into that corner and press down on top of the die cut, it should stamp it perfectly. 




Now you are finished and you have a perfectly placed stamp over the top of your die cut. I know this sounds like a lot of fussing but it actually is very quick and easy.  It only takes about 2 minutes or so once you get the hang of it.  I hope this helps some of you with these new matching die cuts from Spellbinders. Just a quick note,  some of the companies use Cheery Lynn dies and they come with a clear acrylic template to use which is much easier to line up.   Have a great day, thanks for stopping by.





1 comment:

Charmaine Stack said...

What a sensible way of doing this! I am going to try it soon. TFS!